One of the best ways to extend the life of your clothing is to use detergent that’s free of harmful chemicals. Ready to take a swing at making a DIY laundry detergent? Natural, low-lathering and long-lasting, this is Amy’s favorite at-home option.
- 2 cups baking soda
- 2 bars of Dr. Bronner's Bar Soap (Amy uses lavender)
- 2 cups washing soda
- 2 cups borax
- 30 drops lavender essential oil (or scent of your choice)
- Powder the castile soap by cutting up pieces of the bar and mixing in the food processor or grating by hand.
- Mix ingredients well in a glass container, add essential oils if desired, and stir again to break up any clumps.
- Use 1 tablespoon for a regular load, and 2 tablespoons for a large load.
This recipe is adapted from the book "Make Your Place: Affordable, Sustainable Nesting Skills" written and illustrated by Raleigh Briggs.