Mull It Over: Our Favorite Organic Mulled Wine Recipe for Cold Winter Nights
• 1 orange
• 5 whole cloves
• 3 whole star anise pods
• 1 piece (about 1”) peeled fresh ginger, thinly sliced
• 1 cup water
• 1/4 cup organic sugar (or an alternative like coconut sugar, monk fruit or maple syrup. You may need to adjust the quantity depending on the sweetener you use)
• 1 bottle (750 mL) medium-bodied, organic white wine
1. Peel the orange with a peeler, being careful not to remove any pith. Push cloves into the peels.
2. Combine the orange peel with cloves, star anise, ginger, water, and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring to dissolve sugar, and cook for 10 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and add wine. Let stand for about 20 minutes, and then reheat to a low simmer.
4. Strain and serve in a heat-safe mug.
A few tips for making your mulled wine:
• Use a medium-bodied, white wine, like Chardonnay or Viognier, that isn’t too acidic. Wines that are more astringent can taste a bit harsh when heated.
• Use whole spices (we recommend Simply Organic). Ground spices can change the consistency of the wine, while whole spices are easier to strain before drinking. You can either add the spices loose or make a spice pouch with cheesecloth (we like this reusable type) and twine.
• Make sure your spices are fresh. Whole spices last longer than their ground counterparts – up to 3-4 years.
A Primer on Organic Wines + Where We Shop
Commercially produced and sold wine labels don’t have to disclose what’s inside the bottle, and can legally contain 60 different chemical additives. If you’d like to feel better about the wine you are drinking, you may want to try organic wine.
Not sure where to get started shopping for organic wine? Here are a few options:
• Thrive Market has developed a clean wine collection that can be filtered by different values.
• Primal Wine is an independent online wine boutique that offers natural, biodynamic, organic and vegan wines as well as a monthly club.
• Many wineries also offer direct online orders and wine club subscriptions. One in particular that we love is Martha Stoumen Wines – a woman owned natural winery in California.
• Your local, independently owned wine shop. Natural wine stores are popping up all over the country and they can often point you in the right direction if you are new to organic wine.
Sip your mulled wine while in a cozy set of Printfresh pajamas. Amy is wearing the Unicorn's Garden Long-Sleeve PJ Set in Indigo.