Lounging on the beach is the best way to enjoy the summer weather. The last thing you’d want is to forget something important that will force you to leave your summer oasis too soon. I’m sharing some of the essentials that are always in my beach bag, plus some additional tips that will help you make the most of each and every beach day!
Beach Day Essentials
There’s no better place to spend a hot summer day than the beach. While sand between your toes and a view of the sea is the ultimate setting for rest and relaxation, preparing for a beach day can be a hassle. Amy’s beach day essentials will help make sure you can go to the beach worry-free and enjoy every minute of it.
My Beach Day Essentials
1. It all starts with a beach bag. You want something that will fit everything you need without feeling bulky and still looking cute. I use a woven tote that I got in Mexico City. The woven material is perfect for the beach because the sand sifts right out, so it’s easy to keep clean. You can find similar totes on Etsy!
2. Another beach necessity is a tapestry to sit/lay on. There are so many great options to choose from, but I use a tablecloth from Amanda Lindroth.
3. To pass time at the beach, I love to listen to audiobooks. So, I always have a pair of headphones packed in my bag. I finally got airpods and love being wire free!
4. A speaker is a great addition to your beach day must-haves. I recently bought this JBL waterproof speaker and I love it. It’s super lightweight, comes with a clip so it can hook onto your beach chair, and can be purchased in a variety of pretty hues.
5. If you prefer a bit of shade at the beach, this beach cabana tent is perfect! While the aesthetics aren’t ideal, it’s really easy to set up and provides some lovely shade.
6. Sunscreen. I’m still using up some sunscreen that I have leftover, but I’ve been learning more about reducing personal care items to cut down on plastic consumption and also about all the toxic chemicals and endocrine disruptors in a lot of sunscreen products. Here’s a good rundown on the topic and some shopping suggestions.
7. An easy to fold raffia hat. Mine folds down so well that I just keep it in my bag – which means I never forget it. Here’s a similar one.
8. An embroidered unique drink koozie, I’ve had my eye on this one.
9. And - always a mason jar of seltzer, I use resealable lids to transport it
Now that we have our essentials packed and ready to go, it’s time to discuss the best food and snacks to bring to the beach. Depending on where you go, food may not be readily available to purchase. Packing bento boxes with healthy foods that can handle the heat, like carrots and peaches, is a great way to come prepared. I also like to have protein-rich snacks on hand like nuts (or my favorite power ball recipe). I always bring a bag of pretzels for my kids and of course lots of water in reusable bottles. If it’s later in the day, bringing ‘ranch water’ (a cocktail made with tequila, lime, and Topo Chico), or some of my favorite IPAs is a great way to enjoy a happy hour on the beach.
Image credits: Unsun Cosmetics, Lack of Color
Tell us in the comments below, what are some of your beach day essentials and how do you like to pass time on the beach?
PF MAG: Founder Amy Voloshin is passionate about creating a space that speaks to our brand, shares unique perspectives from pattern enthusiasts and finds ways to promote more sustainable living. Our blog PF Mag covers creative topics on all things lifestyle - including behind the scenes looks, fashion, design, travel, and home decor, as well as interviews with some of the people who inspire us most.
Most Popular Articles